Sunday, October 09, 2005

Wrong conclusions based on false premises.

Autumn has come.
I watched TV programs about the Yasukuni Shrine in Obon week in this summer.
Because I noticed I could not only express my opinions but also I could not give my impressions of it My knowledge of it was too poor.

In these TV programs, I found some common subjects.
1. Why did Japanese prisoners want not to be prisoners but to die?
2. Why were soldiers who died on the battle field defied in Yasukuni Shrine?
3. Why was Yasukuni Shrine not be destroyed after the war?

The government of the day forced people to believe the word “虜囚の辱めを受けず”.
It means "Never be prisoners, and never be insulted."( it is too difficult to translate for me.)
A TV program was about the Japanese prisoners who were going to escape from Cowra Prisoner of War Camp in Australia on 5th Aug. in 1944 during the World WarⅡ. There were 1104 prisoners of Japanese, but 247 prisoners died at the escape.
In this war camp, the Geneva Conventions were strictly kept and Japanese prisoners were treated suitably. Some prisoners played sports or cards. They could get enough foods. But as Japanese soldiers who fought in the front line and were taken prisoners increased, they reminded the meaning of the above word.
The TV program reported that there were a few Japanese who hidden themselves under the beds and did not join the escape and some soldiers did not agree with the escape. The word praised the people who were not afraid of death. But which are the brave people?
I think the above word was a false premise. I can imagine it was difficult to have doubts about the word which is generally accepted. I admire a person had spiritual strength which penetrated its foolishness in this extreme situation.

There were two kinds of people who went to the war.
Politicians who incited people to fight and the masses who had no choice but to obey them and keep the word “Never be prisoners, and never be insulted.”
Who did say it? Did the person who said it take the consequences?
"For your God, never be afraid to die!"
Recently, I read this phrase on newspapers many times. I think it is really similar to the word which a man of religion who incites his believers to do acts of terrorism.

Japanese government of the day enshrined soldiers who died on the battlefield in Yasukuni Shrine with demagogic politicians.
The soldiers died believing the above word. So the government on the day couldn't change the story for them and their families. That's why they needed to be defied in Yasukuni Shrine with politicians who they had believed before and Yasukuni Shrine wasn't destroyed after the war. Though we noticed the emperor was not God and the word was a false premise, we had to continue the story to bring them peace of mind.
But now is not postwar era. I cannot agree to continue the story. What do the bereaved families think?
In Class A war criminals, there is Mr.Tojyo who is the general. I think he must explain why he incited the people to fight. So when I know that he was going to suicide when he noticed he was almost caught the end of the war, I got angry.
Do the bereaved families still want that members of the families are enshrined in the same place with the criminals who killed them???

I listened to the news on the radio in this summer.
A movie released. The producer shot this film with the cooperation of The Self-Defense Forces of Japan. Its magnificent scale is advertised as the first of the kind.
The title of the movie is "An Aegis-class warship of sadness". It doesn't have its English title. Because it is a Japanese war film.
Many famous Japanese actors and actress came to see the film preview.
After the preview, an interviewer asked two cool guys who are popular actors in Japan.
"What would you do If the war like this movie were to break out? Will you take part in it and contest on the battlefield to protect your wife?"
Mr, Solimachi and Mr. Shido answered the question.
"Yeah, of course. I will fight against the enemy to protect my wife."
I thought this comment was NOT cool.
The radio disc jockey who spoke the news said. " Yeah, I see. Actually, protecting her would be worthwhile."( he is a Shido’s wife fan.)

Why could not they answer like these?
"We must prevent war at all. We must not make war at any cost to protect my wife. For it, I will work for peace"
"Unfortunately a war broke out, I'll escape from the war to protect my wife."
Recently, they got married to beautiful actresses.
I know that the interviewer wanted to refer indirectly to their marriage. So this topic of the radio news was their love for their wives. I knew. I knew.
So I didn't have to be serious. The movie's story is only a chance to ask them about their wives for the interviewer. I knew the guys understood what the interviewer was interested in, that's why they answered as stated above. But why didn't they need to give lip service? I felt they were manipulated by the interviewer. They looked like being too easygoing. Because I think we never set breaking out a war someday forth as a premise
Because I think we never talk about a war easily in public from false premises which a war will break out someday.
I don't like that this kind of war films would foster nationalism.
If our nation decide to start the war, we have to join it. The comments of the actors depend on this false premise. I hate this premise. I cannot conceive of who incite people to the fight as our leader, at least my leader.

Probably, I've still not got enough knowledge. So I cannot say my opinions yet This is a description of my impressions.
It was heavy work to write this. I am exhausted. But I feel I can finish my home work in this summer. Yeah!

Love and Peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Hi Sacchan,

I don't know if you remember me but i used to be a teacher at AEON with Patrick. Anyway, I really like your blog it is very intelligent. Regarding this specific entry, I think what you say is very true but unfortunately I think your view is of the minority of the people in the world. I think the majority of people still believe the men of power who call the masses to fight in a war. They believe what these men say, even when they lie.

Recently, I have been listening to Bob Dylan, he is a very rebellious songwriter. He wrote a song about the topic you discuss. It is called "Masters of War" it is the greatest most moving protest song I have ever heard. In the song, he accuses the men of power for being cowards and greedy and taking advantage of the good strong hearts of their people and marching to fight but not standing with them when they fight. I really reccommend you listen to the song, it can give you great strength.

4:04 PM  
Blogger sacchan said...

Long long no time see you, Mike. Thank you for coming my web page. It always opens only weekends. So I'm sorry for my slow reply.
Of course, I remember "the New Yorker in New York" and "the patron saint of Ireland". ( I'm a Sting fan.)
I watched the international news about a notice of terrorism in the subways. Do the New Yorker take a subway now? Can you feel you live without anxiety?
I'd like to live in the peaceful world. Is your destiny bandai (neutral zone)? Probably, my destiny is Switzerland. I know Bob Dylan. I like his "Blowin' in the Wind". Maybe there is a his CD in my house. I'll check whether the CD has "Masters of War" in it and read the lyrics.
By the way, does "the cheap Izakaya" open? What's on the menu? If you have good sake and yakitori, I'll go for a drink.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Lance said...

Hello Sacchan!

I have finally visited your blog. I wish I would have visited it much sooner because of the intellectual topics that you have covered. I appreciate, very much, that you are not talking about borring and bland things. You're actually making this a place to express your own opinions.

Thank you for explaining about Yasukuni and the Japanese people.

I haven't read enough about Japan and the soldiers during WWII. But from my understanding the people leading Japan were very good at convincing soildiers that no matter what the situation is, they should not be imprissoned. They should fight to their death or take their own life. It seems that this mentality has changed. I don't think anyone could convince people now to fight to the death for Japan, if the war is unprovoked.

10:43 PM  
Blogger sacchan said...

Hello Lance. Welcome to my blog. Thank you. When I read your essay "controversy", I noticed I had never thought carefully about Yasukuni problem. I'm thankful to you for giving me a chance to consider about it.

What a timely topic this is! Don't you think?
Our leader Mr. Koizumi who had appeared in front of Honatugi St. on this Saturday visited Yasukuni Shrine the day before yesterday. As a matter of course, it caused confusion.

I heard that in Germany, graveyards which Nazis are buried are separated from others. Because Germany admitted its guilty, it seems more appropriate nation than Japan to join permanent members of the UN Security Council.
And I also heard when China decided the normalization of diplomatic relations with Japan, the government explained that who caused the war were not the people of two countries but the war criminals of the two countries. Then the war criminals are buried in another place the government could persuade the people.
But the reality contradicts the explanation which the government once persuaded the people unless another nation separates its war criminals. So they're angry.
And I can understand Mr. Koizumi wanted to pray and pay homage to the war dead and their families.
The mass media reports only phenomenon and makes a great fuss.
Nobody explains why some nations are angry and why Mr. Koizumi will still visit the shrine? Isn't there somebody who can talk about this problem calmly?
Probably, I never will find my leader who I can feel a rush of sympathy.
Well, my leader is myself. And my master is myself.

Where is a world without war, my utopia ? Switzerland? Deep in the mountain in Tibet?
If North Korea or other nation makes an attack this nation, I might be a chicken and get away. Well, I will survive somewhere on earth.
For that I study English now.

To sum up, my opinion is "SEPARATE!"

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home